Friday, April 12, 2013

TO BREED OR TO RESCUE?

Earlier this week I found myself in the midst of a conversation with afew other individuals about people who purchase cats/dogs from breeders versus those who choose to adopt from rescues.

My point of view was/is that I think it's totally sad that people choose to purchase pets from a breeder. I quickly followed that up with the fact that although I know people do so because they want a specific type of cat/dog, the reality is that with so many homeless cats/dogs in shelters and rescues across this world waiting to be adopted, it doesn't seem to make any sense. Not to mention that I find it downright maddening that breeders are purposely creating more cats/dogs (for economical gain no less!), when there are so many kittens and puppies being born that are already unwanted. Added to that of course is the physical welfare of the animals being bred -and their quality of life during breeding and then after. I realize that there are breeders, very reputable ones who care for all of the animals in their charge with great responsibility, ensuring that they have excellent vet care, etc, but at the end of the day, the fact remains that they are creating more cats/dogs when the world is bursting with so many already.

After having made my point of view known, the comment was then made by one of the other people in the group that they were of the mindset that people who purchase a pet from a breeder will in most instances be more responsible than people who adopt from shelters/rescues (or who take a cat/dog from a wanted sign or an ad in the paper) and that it was unlikely then that that pet would become homeless or abandoned at some point down the road.

What?! Well I'll let your imaginations fill in the rest of this conversation as it may have went.........needless to say it wasn't pretty.

This has always been a topic that gets my blood boiling; when you are exposed to the plight of animals in rescue, you can't help but feel passionate about this but then again that's just my opinion. Last I looked however, surrendered and/or abandoned animals don't come with signs around their necks that declare: "My situation is not the result of a breeder" - so who can say that definitively????

I'd be very interested to know what you think - so please feel free to send me your comments.

1 comment:

  1. I am in TOTAL agreement with your point of view. Breeders should be outlawed ... they are making money in a most obscene fashion, through the exploitation of the most vulnerable creatures.

    ReplyDelete